Beyond Basic Channel lineup

Ask any sales questions you might have

Beyond Basic Channel lineup

Postby Shadeau » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 am

Just wondering if the channel lineup included in the Beyond Basic plan is frequency re-tooled?

Context:
I know we generally don't like to chat specifics about competition in this community, but I think it's good feedback for Zazeen to understand what customers like me want so that they can offer what the broader market is demanding. The biggest item I see is that the main sports networks (TSN, Sportsnet) are not included in a base package, but only as a rather expensive add-on. Others are offering these networks as part of broader packages that include other very popular channels. For my specific needs, it actually works out to a pretty significant per month cost difference for nearly the same offering, even if I layer on top of the inexpensive Zazeen Skinny package.
Shadeau

Re: Beyond Basic Channel lineup

Postby TuxFan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:24 pm

The reason the sports channels are as expensive as they are, are Red and Blue... When we started our relationship with them, the sports channels were cheap enough to be included in the standard plans. During contract renegotiations, they significantly raised our rates to a point where we couldn't offer those packages with sports channels included bleeding money. I don't have access to financial specifics, but I'd be surprised if the prices that you see are too far off the "breaking even" price point.

Skinny with sports channels added makes sense for some of our clients. Without them, it makes sense for those clients who don't follow a sports team regularly. Many of our clients just don't order them. A few may have found that their needs are better met with a different provider. Most likely, somebody run a CBA and determined that the loss of those clients was a lot less than the potential loss of including those channels in our Beyond Basic package.

There is no wealth like knowledge,
and no poverty like ignorance.
TuxFan

Postby bjlockie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

TuxFan wrote:The reason the sports channels are as expensive as they are, are Red and Blue... When we started our relationship with them, the sports channels were cheap enough to be included in the standard plans. During contract renegotiations, they significantly raised our rates to a point where we couldn't offer those packages with sports channels included bleeding money.

I heard on the news that Red and Blue are raising rates for sports channels for bars so sports bars are upset.
Red and Blue say their costs have gone up (read profits are down :-)).

--
Zazeen VDSL 25/10.
Skinny Basic TV (Entone 500)
bjlockie

Postby TuxFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm

I've seen that on the news. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to find alternative sports programming. The only other thing we've got is BeIn Sports and that one is pretty pricey. Still, it offers more actual SPORTS content and fewer talk shows.

There is no wealth like knowledge,
and no poverty like ignorance.
TuxFan